Saturday, September 16, 2006

Days 10 and 11 photos

A sea lion. Notice the shape and natural posturing of the head--it would be perfect to attach a laser to.












Waipapa Lighthouse. Not even shabby chic, really.













A dog herding a flock of sheep. Far more fun to watch than to look at in a still photograph.












Slope Point. Libby is standing roughly two and a half feet away from sudden death.











This is the drop down from where Libby was standing. Sorry if this isn't the greatest quality, I was holding the camera out in front of me, trying not to get any closer than I had to.










The southernmost sign in New Zealand. I believe you can see the start of the fence that I peed on to the left. If you followed that back another fifteen yards or so, you'd find my marked spot.










The view from the opposite side of that drop I was talking about earlier. I think this gives a little better perspective of just how high up it was. But it still doesn't do it justice.










Never stop in a flock of sheep. You will die.


















Jamie, trying to whip a sea bird of some sort--probably an albatross--with a strip of kelp.












The petrified forest. Yeah, I know, not so foresty. I'm told there are strips of rocks on the beach and these are the old trees or something. Whatever. Looks like rocks to me.










Porpoise Bay. It is a bay, but there were no porpoises. To the left of me was snack bar and picnic area that represented the only civilization we'd been in all day.










John, looking contemplative, at Porpoise Bay. No, really he's listening to the cyst in his head. It's saying, "I swear to you, JF SAID he wanted you to push him over the edge." But John wouldn't listen. Instead, JF had to jump on his own. Very sad and tragic, except for the part where he's a French-Canadian.







NZ's Niagara Falls. Not as impressive as the one in North America, but FAR more pleasant to visit--unless you like wax museums and carnival atmospheres, then the North American version is definitely for you.









The diner in Owaka. Be sure to ask them to "hold the salad" on your burger. Trust me on this.











The land bridge connecting Nugget Point Lighthouse to the main body of land. Don't let the foliage fool you, the drop on the opposite side is very nearly straight down.
















The rocks out from the lighthouse on Nugget Point that probably killed a person or two. Not the most hospitable place for a sailing vessel.











The family gathered around the table in El Tigre. Notice the cake. It weighed about three hundred pounds and was solid chocolate. They constructed it with a little known chocolate that forms on the surface of dwarf stars. Tasty but filling.

No comments: