Saturday, August 19, 2006

Day 2 Photos

A picture from the Skyline place over Queenstown. We took scads of these types of pictures, so I'll spare everyone and just include a few.










The Luge. This is Molly. Notice the way she is pulling way back--which means she is seriously riding the brake. Sad. Two minutes later a four year old will make her look even more foolish.










As you can see, the beauty of the scenery was only partially eclipsed by my own. Notice that I'm wearing a jacket with a Canadian flag on it. I decided early on that it was easier to claim to be Canadian if asked because then I wouldn't have to explain the near complete boobiness of the actions of my country's leaders. This might have been an unnecessary precaution, since most people were only seeing dollar signs when I approached their business' counter, but I took it anyway.





Queenstown from on high. That big open island there in the middle is a golf course. Probably one of the most expensive ones in the world based on property values.










A sheep on the hill underneat the gondola we were riding up. This isn't the sheep we almost thunked. There were a half dozen or so and a few goats total wandering around up there as if they owned the place.















Not a very good picture, but this is the inside of the wine cave at Gibston's vineyard. Actually, I'm not sure why I'm including it except that it's about the only picture I have of the interesting parts of the vineyard.









Karen after being nearly expelled from the jet boat. Years of being a roadie for Jethro Tull left Karen nearly deaf, I'm afraid, so she didn't hear Blair's warning to "hold on." It almost cost her a trip into the sub-antarctic waters. A lesson for all you youngins and your loud music.








Continuing our theme of taking pictures of all statues dedicated to nothing in particular. This is an elk, I'm told. They have no native elk, of course, but they do raise them like livestock. I guess that makes them important enough to commemorate in more permanent ways than Franklin Mint could provide.













Sadly, because it was dark, we weren't able to get any pictures of the Glow Worm caves in Te Anau. Instead, I will share a strange phenomenon, the shivering Canadian. These two, despite the fact that they both weather far more cold than anyone else in the family, were constantly huddled up for warmth. Every time we walked into a building or room, they would be the first to find the heat source and block what little it put off for themselves. I can't explain this.

No comments: