Monday, August 21, 2006

The Peeing Across New Zealand Part

So I've received a few comments about the lack of coverage of my supposedly main theme-peeing across New Zealand. I guess I ought to address those concerns now before I get anymore of my posts taken care of.

The idea of this theme occurred to us as we were driving on that first full day because, as we stopped at every small town on the road, I needed to break off to find a restroom. Then jokes were made that my goal must be to pee in every restroom I found along the way. This, of course, everyone in the van found awfully amusing--myself included--so I adopted it as my vacation's theme.

That said, there is only so much description of restrooms I can include in each post before it gets boring and, more likely, ridiculous. Suffice it to say that I did, in fact, use pretty much every restroom that I found along the way. However, with a few exceptions, there were relatively few that were worth commenting on. They mostly followed the theme of being a place to relieve myself and little more of interest could be drawn from them. There were two notable exceptions.

The first was in Riverton, where a very amusing sign was situated directly adjacent to the men's restroom. I will include the picture here because it is, I think, one of the best signs ever, and the fact that it was so near a necessary facility gave it that much more of an impact.







The second was in El Tigre, the very posh restaurant where the family held Darrell's 60th birthday party on, I think, our 11th day (I haven't finished writing that day's travels up yet, so I can't remember for sure if it was that day or not). If you ever find yourself in El Tigre, the handicap accessible restroom comes HIGHLY recommended. There were little, neatly folded hand towels and everything. The non-handicapped restroom was paled by comparison. And, no, I wasn't denying any more deserving handicapped person access to the restroom by using it--by this time in the evening we were the only people still left in the restaurant, and they only have two restrooms--the other of which someone else was in--so I figured there was no harm done by my using it. I didn't, however, take a picture because I didn't have the camera with me.

So, there. That's all I can really say about the theme. Just trust that I DID use "toilets" pretty much everywhere in the southern island that we stopped. The restrooms were only slightly varied, though, so there wasn't much more that I could say about them after I described the toilets that most of them had in common (see earlier posting).

Hope that clears things up for everyone!

No comments: